Monday, December 19, 2011

March - How High?

Every year for the past few years I go skiing in Breckenridge, Colorado with a group of guys. My niece Tiffany (aka Nickey) is fascinated with Mount Everest, so I thought I'd check out the highest ski slopes in the continental USA. The altitude shown, 9696 ft above sea level, is from my bedroom at the bottom of the hill. The Imperial Express SuperChair rises to 12,840 feet above sea level, which is the highest chairlift in North America. People have skied from higher elevations, but they had to hike and that sounds like way too much work to me.

For those of you who know my age, drinking and smoking habits and philosophy towards exercise, it will come as a surprise to you that I have never had any trouble with high altitude, until this year. I had a bad first run and spent the next hour trying to catch my breath. I kept thinking I could hear Dean Wormer saying "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." This has motivated me to start working out some time before the next ski trip. (As of 12/19/2011 I haven't yet started) We'll work on the other issues at a much later date.

While I was enjoying the cold, Julie was cursing it. We sold a condo to Ken and Mary Moen in March and Julie took over as property manager for Ken and Mary's old condo. She probably wouldn't have minded showing the condo so often if she didn't have Bronchitis. Julie was a trooper, got it rented and managed not to crash her car due to her massive coughing fits.

Open Table Reservations - 11

Dinners at Ruth's Chris - 2

No comments:

Post a Comment